Spices are loaded with antioxidants and can help you and your family decrease the sodium (salt) intake.
Did you know that 1 tsp of ground cinnamon has as much antioxidant activity as 8 ounces of pomegranate juice or 1/2 cup fresh blueberries?
Some quick ideas:
- Keep a shaker of cinnamon handy to sprinkle over everything; hot cocoa, oatmeal, plain or vanilla yogurt, vanilla ice cream, fruit ald.
- Add ginger to hot or iced tea. Sweeten 1 cup of tea with honey and 1/4 tsp. ground ginger.
- New take on grilled cheese: prepare with mozzarella cheese, sliced tomato and 1/4 tsp oregano leaves.
- Add 1/8 tsp thyme leaves before scrambling those eggs.
- Add 1/4 tsp ground red pepper or paprika to guacamole or hummus.
- Add 1/2 tsp yellow curry to 2 cups of hot cooked rice. Add texture with shredded carrots, peas, raisins or toasted sliced almonds.
Tue, February 1, 2011
by Melissa Weber